Re: screenshot instructions

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 11:07, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:10, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 03:45 pm, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > <screen>
> > >   <computeroutput>
> > > # The following line should be changed.
> > > MyVariable = <userinput>NewValue</userinput>
> > > MyVariableContext = default
> > >   </computeroutput>
> > > </screen>
> >
> > What I suggested is this:
> > <screen>
> > # The following line should be changed.
> > MyVariable = <userinput>NewValue</userinput>
> > MyVariableContext = default
> > </screen>
> >
> > I don't see anything wrong with your version.
> > Do you see anything wrong with my version?
> > If not, why the usage of <computeroutput>
> > should be enforced by a rule?
>
> Nothing wrong with it, I just think using <*put> throughout is more
> descriptive. "On the screen, the computer outputs XXX."

I agree with this as well. Using the computeroutput tags is more
descriptive. It also allows us to make it stand out even more in the
HTML versions by changing the font.

> > Actually, for configuration files (and for anything
> > that can be edited) I would prefer something like this:
> > <programlisting>
> > # The following line should be changed.
> > MyVariable = <emphasis>NewValue</emphasis>
> > MyVariableContext = default
> > </programlisting>
>
> I could agree with the <programlisting> part here, but I think in the
> interest of consistency and sensibility, use <userinput> instead of
> <emphasis> if that's something the user is expected to enter. Again, I
> think these are minor points and are probably just better left for an
> editor to simply fix as required or desired, provided the sense and
> context are unaffected by a change.

I use <userinput> for *exact* text the user must type and <replaceable>
for text that should be changed to the appropriate value for the user.
IMO, <replaceable> tags should be used in your example instead of
<emphasis>.

Tammy