Re: installation guide

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 13:20, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 00:33, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > Okay, I'm onboard for the All Hands on Deck for an Installation Guide
> > for FC3.
> >
> > We have until about 20 October to have a release candidate, and this is
> > possible to do if we make the pieces small enough and keep the editors
> > busy.
>
> Is there any existing material we can use as a basis, or just guidance
> on how a Fedora doc should be ?
>
> One of the nice things about working on GNOME docs is that between the
> Style Guide and the existing documentation the "house style" is very
> clearly defined, so that it was easy to write to the format.  If nothing
> else is more appropriate, would the Release Notes be a good base-line in
> this respect ?

In the interest of speed, I think we're trying to make this up as we go
on.  To get docs out in time for FC3, we'll need to take an iterative
approach:

1) Work with what we have.
2) Get caught by snags, resolve, propose the solution to the list.
3) With just a few +1s or -1s we resolve the matter and write it to the
process/templates/Doc Guide/wherever that piece belongs.
4) Include the new style decisions, fix everything we have to match
that, and move on.
5) Back to 1).

Still, we can take the next few days to hammer out more items, but much
longer than that and we will be behind the curve.

I propose:

1) We make a short list of reference sites/materials.
2) When in doubt, refer to the list.
3) If two or more reference sites are contradictory, bring it to the
mailing list.
4) Try to capture the definite items we want in our Style Guidelines -
required sections, styles, etc. - as we go along

So far we can reference:

* Fedora Documentation Guide
* GNOME Style Guide -- Paul had a recommended list of chapters
* Red Hat documentation -- redhat.com/docs
* Elements of Style -- free edition available

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise