Re: Emacs/psgml problem

Karsten Wade wrote:
On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 10:28, Paul W. Frields wrote:

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 13:23, Karsten Wade wrote:

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 09:54, Paul W. Frields wrote:

I've been using the same setup since I first started doing FDP stuff; I
added the code listed in the Doc Guide to my .emacs file, and haven't
changed it. rpm -V psgml looks fine.

I think after having battled it for a little while that it's related to
doing this:
 <xref linkend="target"/>
instead of:
 <xref linkend="target"></xref>

Exiting Emacs and restarting it seems to "fix" the problem. It only
happens using <filename> after <xref/> tags. I'm confused but I'm not
sure how to Bugzilla the problem since it could be the Big OE (Operator
Error).

I was first going to ask if you had a stuck Ctrl key on your keyboard. :)

Out of genuine curiosity, would this have caused a problem like what I observed?

Not sure.  An nXML keybinding is C-/ to close the previous open tag,
iirc.  That was why my first thought was, stuck keyboard?  But yeah, in
PSGML, it's different as Dave pointed out.

Another thing you might try (being a self-professed newbie who seems to
be doing quite well anyway) is Mark's PSGMLX package:
http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/psgmlx .  It will validate against the XML
DTD properly, afaict.  Just don't find any bugs in it, Mark doesn't have
any time to fix them. :)

It's on my to-do list! Am I correct that you just indicated (in another thread, sorry) that I can use all the same keybindings as in PSGML? If I don't have to unlearn what I've only recently learned for psgml, I'm more likely to try psgmlx.

Yeah, it was on my list for too long, and it turned out to be stupidly
easy to setup. :D

Right, it's exactly like PSGML keybindings. I think Mark adds some
stuff, but nothing is taken away, iirc.

Yeah, I did add a couple of keyboard macros:.e.g.

- C-x C-p inserts <para></para> and places the cursor in the middle.

- Another one allows you to <para> tag a marked region (start & end
  points matter) by hitting M-p (aka <Alt>-p).

- another one allows you to tag the marked region with <emphasis>
  tags with "C-x e"

None of the above should affect the default psgml keybindings, they're simply add-ons.

At any rate, they can be turned off by commenting them out in the following files in the psgmlx directory:

[psgmlx-dir]/conf/psgml/macros-sgml.el

[psgmlx-dir]/conf/psgml/macros-docbook.el

FWIW, I got the material, or at least the ideas, from Bob DuCharme's "PSGML Tricks" page:

http://www.snee.com/bob/sgmlfree/emcspsgm.html

which has somewhat more advanced material than his *very* useful "Emacs/PSGML Quick Reference" page:

 http://www.snee.com/bob/sgmlfree/psgmqref.html

Knowing some simple things like

  C-c C-q (sgml-fill-element)

  M-C-\  (indent-region)

  C-c [ENTER]   (sgml-split element)

  C-c C-o  (move to next trouble spot)

  C-c C-v   (validate)

Can really enhance your productivity.

I highly recommend learning the stuff in the "Moving Your Cursor Around: PSGML Keystrokes" section. Really speeds things up.

HTH,
Mark

Still, like I alluded to, it's
an extension of PSGML, so it may have different (i.e., buggy) behavior. Definitely worth a try, though.

Examples of stuff added - when you are in a mode that is editing a
script (Perl, bash, etc.) and you put your cursor is over any bracket {}
[] (), the opening and closing brackets are highlighted.  Right-click in
SGML files pulls up an insert element menu that only lets you insert
legal tags -- fast way of checking for what is valid, which may be part
of troubleshooting.

- Karsten

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242