Re: Elements of Style and the documentation-guide

DaveP wrote:
At 18:31 23/06/2004, Paul W. Frields wrote:

After spending the last several days doing markup on a syntactically and
grammatically, er, "challenged" tutorial, I found myself in need of the
solace of Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style," if only to remind
myself that good writing does indeed exist outside my imagination. I
noticed during my Web search that EoS was released some years ago into
the public domain, and can be found in a variety of formats, although
DocBook XML was not one of these as far as I can tell.

I realize that "public domain" != "FDL," and therefore am wondering if
anyone out there has sufficient expertise to address the extent to which
EoS might be included in the documentation-guide.

Great idea. How about asking in the commons arena, or the fdl licence group to find out just how to interpret that licence?

You can also try <debian-legal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>. I know there was a huge thread on debian-devel (I think) not too long ago about some non-freeness aspects of the FDL. In fact, IIRC, a new FDL is due any day now that's meant to address some of these concerns. I believe it was "due" June 1st.

HTH,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242