Re: This list is wide open for spam posters

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Brent Fox wrote:

>> Please go into GNU mailman list privacy settings and make the
>> list subscriber-only.  Alternatively, please post rationale for
>> it remaining a spam list please.  ;o)
>>
>> I'd like to unsubscribe if it remains spammable, as I get enough
>> spam already.  ;o)
>
>This list is and has always been subscriber-only.
>
>uijlqfjaboez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx has a valid entry in the GNU mailman
>subscriber list.  For all I know, the list is getting junk mail from his
>address that is being spoofed due to the latest viruses that are going
>around.

Username == uijlqfjaboez

IMHO sound like a bogus user account to me, set up for the
purposes of spamming.

and

hostname == spammotel.com

sounds equally suspicious.  Personally I'd remove the account
based on that alone, but that's just me.  ;o)

>I'd hate to kick somebody off for something that is beyond their
>control.  Heck, I've been getting spam from myself with this MyDoom
>virus...I guess I should procmail myself to /dev/null.  ;)

You don't have an account name that looks like a cat typed it on
the keyboard, or it was generated from /dev/urandom though, nor a
hostname with "spam" in the name.  ;o)

Perhaps I'm being too much of a BOFH, who's to say...  ;o)