[389-users] (Insufficient 'write' privileges to the 'userPassword') when executing passwd change

This is a new install, straight from the docs with 4 boxes in an MMR setup.  Attempting a password change from a Linux command line, I get this feedback.

$ passwd
Changing password for user jbeamon.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
LDAP password information update failed: Insufficient access
Insufficient 'write' privilege to the 'userPassword' attribute of entry 'uid=jbeamon,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com'.

passwd: Permission denied

I zeroed out the access and error logs in advance.  The error log was empty; the access log was nothing but SRCH, BIND, and RESULT entries for my account.  Nothing about access problems or attempted modifies.

A web search for this error message revealed one conversation in Jan 2009 that ended with "I fixed my aci and the problem went away".  I haven't knowingly changed any acis since install.  At the global level, user may change password.  At the userRoot suffix level, user can change password and fine-grained policy is enabled.  A password reset by directory manager succeeds and replicates around.  Does anyone else recognize this?

-j