[389-users] HOW TO INSTALL NEW INTERMEDIATE CA CERTIFICATES ON 389 DS

I have successfully installed the intermediate CA certificates into the cert database and no longer having an issue.

The ldap server is up and running with SSL now.

To summarize my issues and resolution:

The First issue I found was that I was not utilizing the proper intermediate certificates from VeriSign, this is based on the flavor of certificates you own.

Please be sure you are utilizing the correct intermediate certs from your CA, this can be confusing and since LDAP servers are not the main consumers

Of certificates they are not really listed. Mostly guidance for WWW servers are provided. Here is the certs I has to utilize.

http://www.verisign.com/support/verisign-intermediate-ca/secure-site-intermediate/index.html

I was using the bundled certificates and not the individual Primary and Secondary certs individually.

But even after that change I was still having issues installing the certificates, here is an example error:

[root@ldap1 slapd-ldap1]# certutil -A -n VeriSign_Intermediate -t "CT,," -i /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1/intermediate.crt -d /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1

certutil: could not obtain certificate from file: security library: improperly formatted DER-encoded message.

The Second issue is that I suspected that I needed to recreate the database (cert8.db), I assumed it must have been corrupted in some manner.

[root@ldap1 slapd-ldap1]#certutil  -N -d /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1

Once I recreated the database I was able to successfully reinstall all of the certs with no issues using the following commands:

[root@ldap1 slapd-ldap1]#pk12util -i /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1/ldap1cert.p12 -d .

[root@ldap1 slapd-ldap1]#certutil -A -n VeriSign_Intermediate -t "CT,," -i /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1/intermediate.crt -d /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1

[root@ldap1 slapd-ldap1]#certutil -A -n VeriSign_Secondary -t "CT,," -i /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1/secondary.crt -d /etc/dirsrv/slapd-ldap1

The ldap server now starts with no certificate issues and binds over port 636. Hooray!!

Appreciate the response and anyone else who was contemplating my issue.

I hope this helps someone else from making the same mistake I did……………..Tim