Re: [389-users] Determine when a password is about to expire

harry.devine@xxxxxxx wrote:

I can get the passwordexpirationtime value, but I'm unsure what you mean by "set the password expiration to occur immediately".  I'm coming from the Windows world, so I'm used to the "User must change password at next logon" checkbox.  I don't see that anywhere on the GUI, so I'm unclear how you set that.
Could this help ...?

  • To require users to change their password the first time they log on, select the User must change password after reset checkbox.

    NOTE

    If users are required to reset their password, only the Directory Manager is authorized to reset the user's password. A regular administrative user cannot force the users to update their password.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management.html#Configuring_a_Global_Password_Policy_Using_the_Command_Line-Password_Policy_Attributes

passwordMustChange When on, this attribute requires users to change their passwords when they first login to the directory or after the password is reset by the Directory Manager. The user is required to change their password even if user-defined passwords are disabled. If this attribute is set to off, passwords assigned by the Directory Manager should not follow any obvious convention and should be difficult to discover. This attribute is off by default.

Also, how do I manipulate the dates?  I get something similar to 20110122161029Z (for example) for passwordexpirationtime.  How do I convert that to a proper date format?  Also, I just changed my account's password while testing, and I see that passwordexpirationtime got reset to 19700101000000Z.  What does the 1970xxx value represent?

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Devine
Common ARTS Software Development