Re: [389-users] Enforcement of password policy dependend on presence of {password encryption type}?

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:

> Hi
>
> Problem Statement:
>
> If I have the following ldif executed by Directory Manager:
>
> dn: uid=jsmith,ou=People,dc=mycompany
>
> changetype: modify
>
> replace: userPassword
>
> userPassword: 5A80f5A80FFE3A51BA71A0014F88F0204995334D9849DC02E1A7E06dd171
>

> This will get transmitted in clear text (via ssl, if enabled) to the
> server if done remotely and will be subject to any password policy set.
>

> If however the ldif looks like:
>
> dn: uid=smith,ou=People,dc=mycompany
>
> changetype: modify
>
> replace: userPassword
>
> userPassword: {SSHA}Jvze3knNF165Msadf1vfLJTuhKm9wHoRt
>

> It is not subject to the password policy and stil gets changed.
>

> doing a ldapsearch will show the following:
>
> # jsmith, People, mycompany
>
> dn: uid=jsmith,ou=People,dc=mycompany
>
> uid: jsmith
>
> cn: John Smith
>
> userPassword:: e1NTSEF9SnZ6ZTNrbk5GMTY1TU10MXZ5TEoyVHVoS205d0hvUnQ=
>

> Questions:
>
> Is the difference in behaviour when using a clear text password as
> opposed to a {SSHA} password intentional?

Yes.

> Granted that it gets executed as Directory Manager.

And that is why it goes through.  Because you are using Directory
Manager, the directory server "assumes you know what you are doing".

> Is there any way apart from looking at :
>
> dn: cn=config
>
> passwordStorageScheme: ssha
>

> to determine what the encryption will be. Or put differently how can I
> be sure that the string I am seeing has been properly encrypted
> according the set standard?

Only set userPassword using clear text.  That way you never have to
worry about whether or not it has been properly encrypted.  Never send a
pre-encrypted password to the server.  Using pre-encrypted passwords
will break things like windows sync, kerberos, sasl/digest-md5 -
anything that must have the clear text password.