Re: [389-users] Manual and automatic catch up of replication

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
>> Replication uses an exponential backoff strategy if the consumer is
>> down.  That is, it will wait 1 second, try again, then wait 2 seconds,
>> try again, then wait 4 seconds, try again, etc. until it hits 5
>> minutes.
>>

> hmmm, I probably did not wait long enough...
>
> I have enabled replication monitoring on all my servers at the moment.
>
> Is there any log that specifically log the exponential back-off and the current backup-off waiting time?
Not a log file.  You can turn on the replication log level, but that
will spew out a lot of unrelated messages too.
> Alternatively can that value be read somewhere? If not I believe it would be useful to have in the logs and I could raise a feature request in bugzilla.

There are many attributes used for monitoring replication that you can
read over LDAP
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.2/cli/html/Core_Server_Configuration_Reference.html#Replication_Attributes_under_cnReplicationAgreementName_cnreplica_cnsuffixName_cnmapping_tree_cnconfig-nsDS5ReplicaLastInitEnd

Why do you need to know how long it will be?  You could monitor
nsDS5ReplicaLastInitEnd, nsDS5ReplicaLastInitStart,
nsDS5ReplicaLastInitStatus, nsDS5ReplicaLastUpdateEnd,
nsDS5ReplicaLastUpdateStart, nsDS5ReplicaLastUpdateStatus,
nsDS5ReplicaUpdateInProgress to see if replication is occuring.  If the
consumer is down, the InitStatus or UpdateStatus will have some error
like 81 or 91 indicating a connection could not be made.  If you read
that status, and you know the consumer is up, this means the server is
waiting, and if you don't want to wait, you can just initiate an
update.  You do this by setting nsDS5ReplicaUpdateSchedule to a value
that is not the current time e.g.
nsDS5ReplicaUpdateSchedule: 0000-0001 0
then immediately set the value back to "replicate all the time" e.g.
nsDS5ReplicaUpdateSchedule: 0000-2359 0123456
That will "wake up" the replication thread and make it send over all
updates immediately.
> Does the exponential backoff reset after 5 minutes back to 1 second or does it stay at 5 minute interval checking?

After a successful connection, it will reset back to 1 second.