[389-users] 389 as authentication server on Fedora 13 #389 #ldap @Skolan

Hi all

I am new to this list and need help setting up an authentication server
for an all Linux network. I previously used OpenLDAP, but think it is
very complicated to set up and use, so I am giving 389 a try.

However, things are not going great...

I am running a network where users should have access both through SSH
to the servrer and be able to log in on a local machine to a roaming
profile. /home is shared via NFS.

Both the server and all clients are running Fedora 13.

389 is installed and running. I can query the server and using the admin
tools I was able to import an old account saved as LDIF.

However, the following does not work:

1. The user I imported can not authenticate. I think that I need to set
up 389 to use encryption with ldaps (Fedora 13 does not allow
unencrypted passwords, which I used earlier since this net was
experimental, isolated and contains no sensitive information).

2. I can not import old posixGroups, nor can I create new ones. Trying
to import using LDIF, I get errors. Trying to create manually, I do not
see the option appear in the admin tool.

I wish there was a guide that did provide exactly the steps I need to
set up my server and network. The manual is good, but frankly I do not
understand it well enough and lots of information is redundant to my needs.

When I've gotten this to work, I intend to write such a guide! But
perhaps someone on this list could point me in the right direction...)

BTW, please CC my Evernote account when you reply to this thread.

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/