[389-users] Migrating from AD to 389 DS

We have a Windows 2003 AD domain here at work.  We have a mix of Windows servers and Linux servers, and we are looking to consolidate functions down a little bit.  If we can remove the need for AD, we can have 1 Windows server and the rest will be Linux.  I've seen from reading the 389-ds site and docs that 389-ds and AD can share information, but what about REPLACING AD?

Years ago, our functions at work, along with how machines were configured, lent themselves to having an AD domain.  These days, the basic function of our domain is for authentication.  Thats it, nothing else (no Exchange, no Group Policy, etc.).  So, it would seem like 389-ds would suit our needs very well.  So this leads to my question(s):

Has anyone replaced an AD domain with a 389-ds?  How did you do it?  How hard was it to migrate the user information from AD to 389-ds?  I know that the Windows box will need pGina installed on it, too.  I plan on putting 2 servers into a test environment to have 389-ds running on 1 with CentOS 5.4 and Windows 2003 on the other with pGina 1.8.8 on it to test it.  But I'd like to hear if my long-term plan/hope is feasible and if it can be accomplished.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Devine
Common ARTS Software Development