Re: [389-users] dynamic group expansion: writing a patch...

On 05/18/2010 09:50 AM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> Nathan Kinder wrote:

>>> not sure what you mean by "play directly into the group entry"
>>>
>>> You might be able to do this by extending the member of plugin.  With
>>> dynamic groups, you will probably still want to have the member of
>>> functionality, and it should work with member of when using static
>>> groups too.
>>>

>> The difficult part is going to be making the memberOf plug-in work with
>> dynamic groups.
>>
>> Is the idea to have the "member" attributes be virtual attributes that
>> are generated on the fly when a client performs a search for the group?
>>

> That might work, as long as you don't have to support searches in
> dynamic group entries like (member=someUserDN)
>
>> I'm not quite sure how this approach can be made to work with the
>> memberOf plug-in since it is triggered by write operations that affect
>> group membership.
>>

> However it works, it should work with memberof and generate memberof
> attributes in user entries, whether the group is static or dynamic.
>
> I suppose it would work a little like persistent search - on every
> update operation (not just group updates, but all updates), it would
> have to scan every dynamic group entry, looking at the pre-update entry
> and the post-update entry.  If the pre-update entry does not match the
> dynamic group definition, but the post-update entry does match the
> dynamic group definition, then you add the DN of that entry to the
> member attribute in the group entry.  If the pre-update matches but not
> the post-update, you have to remove the member.

I think this approach is best, assuming you are saying that the member
of value is actually added to the group entry (not a virtual
attribute).  This could be implemented as a new post-op plug-in.  If
plug-in ordering is used to have this new plug-in invoked before the
memberOf plug-in, then the memberOf feature should work fine.