Re: [389-users] getent group doesnt show any ldap groups

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 20:13 -0400, Rick Dicaire wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM, John A. Sullivan III
> <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sure - go to the advanced properties of the group.  Look at the
> > objectclass attribute.  If it does not contain posixgroup (I believe
> > that's the correct value - I'm not looking at my 389 right now), click
> > in the list of values and then click add value.  Choose posixgroup from
> > the list.
> >
> > Then click on add attribute and choose memberuid from the list.  There
> > will be a blank field for memberuid.  Enter the first uid.  To enter
> > additional uids, click add value and enter the new uid - John
>
> John, thanks, this is great....I decided to try something based on
> this. Since both users I'd added have the same gid, I noticed a
> gidnumber field was added when I added posixgroup to Object class. I
> set this fields value to that of the users gid. I removed the
> previously added memberuid attribute that had the uid vaules of the
> two users:
>
> ardy@daw1~$ getent group guitar
> guitar:*:1200:graz,mraz
> ardy@daw1~$ id graz
> uid=1200(graz) gid=1200(guitar) groups=1200(guitar)
> ardy@daw1~$ id mraz
> uid=1201(mraz) gid=1200(guitar) groups=1200(guitar)
>
> Seems to me, at this juncture, its unnecessary to add the memberuid
> attribute and fill it with uid values?
>
> Some more experimenting, added another group, added posixgroup to
> Object class, set the gidnumber for the group, added the same two
> users to it:
>
> ardy@daw1~$ getent group amplifier
> amplifier:*:1201:graz,mraz
> ardy@daw1~$ id graz
> uid=1200(graz) gid=1200(guitar) groups=1200(guitar),1201(amplifier)
> ardy@daw1~$ id mraz
> uid=1201(mraz) gid=1200(guitar) groups=1200(guitar),1201(amplifier)
>
> Now, while getent shows all groups for a user, is there a way to see
> all the groups a specific user is in with 389-console, I'm not seeing
> any secondary groups in advanced properties for the user.
>
> Thanks again John, this really helped!

I'm pulling this out of memory so you may want to verify it.  We do have
a memberof attribute for our users.  I believe it is populated via a
memberof plugin.  There is documentation on it.  We implemented it when
it was first released and it was a little temperamental.  I don't recall
all the issues off-hand but I think it required the users to have an
objectclass which was not added by default - perhaps inetuser.  In any
event, there is good documentation and a very extensive email thread in
the archives.  Glad to be of assistance - John