Re: [389-users] setup-ds-admin.pl fails to create the configuration directory server

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-yourinstancename/dse.ldif - the attribute
> nsslapd-localhost - which hostname is this?

ws.int.kritek.net

> If you shutdown the directory server, edit dse.ldif - add the attribute
> nsslapd-listenhost: <IPv4 ip address here>
> then start up the directory server - does it then listen for IPv4 requests?

Yes.

This has now been resolved, thanks to Rich for your wonderful help. As
a result, I've filed two bugs at bugzilla.redhat.com regarding the
problem with setup-ds-admin.pl on ipv6 enabled hosts, and a subsequent
bug I found with 389-console using ipv4 mapped ipv6 addresses when
trying to contact ipv4 hosts.
Those bug numbers are 588480, and 588499 respectively.

I'll detail the fix as given to me by Rich which enabled the
successful completion of setup-ds-admin.pl on an ipv6 enabled host.

Create /tmp/fixlistenhost.ldif and populate it with

dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: nsslapd-listenhost
nsslapd-listenhost: your_ipv4_ip

Run setup-ds-admin.pl slapd.ConfigFile=/tmp/fixlistenhost.ldif

Both the DS instance, and the admin server were then correctly
configured and running.

Its still not understood why ns-slapd was listening only on ipv6 sockets.

The problem with 389-console initially failing to connect to the ipv4
host turned out to be said client using an ipv4 mapped ipv6 address,
which fails when sysctl key net.ipv6.bindv6only is set to 1 (which if
I understand correctly, disables use of ipv4 mapped ipv6 addresses,
and disables single socket listening for both ipv4 and ipv6).

Thanks again Rich for your invaluable help!

--
aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present:
http://www.ardynet.com