Re: [389-users] getent group returns empty group list

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 12:11 -0800, Morris, Patrick wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > Hello, all.  I'm having a miserable time getting CUPS to work with
> > Directory Server for group authentication.  I think it is more
> > fundamental than CUPS.  When I do getent group <groupname> to a local
> > group, the result is populated with members.  However, if I do it for an
> > LDAP group, the group is returned but with no members.  What would cause
> > such behavior? Do I need something other than default NSS mappings?
> >
> > I am running CentOS Directory Server 8.1 on CentOS 5.4.  The client is
> > running Debian Lenny.  Thanks - John
> >

> The most likely reason is that how your system expects the groups to be
> set up (i.e, a list of usernames vs. a list of DNs, the objectClass to
> consider a Unix a group, etc.) does not match what your data actually
> looks like.
>
> Without any data about how you've got things configured on the client
> and in the LDAp database, though, it's pretty hard to say where that
> disconnect might be.
<snip>
Any pointers to where to look, normal configurations, documents to read?
We are a secure multi-tenant environment so various groups are in
various portions of the tree.  This print server needs to service all
clients and this is able to search from the root of the tree.  Thanks -
John