Re: [389-users] With LDAP server stopped, local authentication fails...

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Morris, Patrick <patrick.morris@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Tom Lanyon wrote:

>>> Here's what I have on one of the clients:
>>>
>>> passwd:     files ldap
>>> shadow:     files ldap
>>> group:      files ldap

>>> Should it not try "files" first?  I'm still seeing that when the LDAP
>>> server is down, I can't log onto the client machines at all.  Logging
>>> in as root works, but logging in as a normal user doesn't.  Any
>>> suggestions?
>>>

>> Yes, it should...
>>

> It probably does. The fun starts when it has to check every LDAP group
> to see if that person is a member of one of them, and for that it *must*
> go to LDAP, regardless of the order in nsswitch.conf.
>
> You can disable that behavior on an account-by-account basis using the
> nss_initgroups_ignoreusers in ldap.conf, and there may be other ways.
> One alternative may just be to set the LDAP timeout short enough that
> the login timeout doesn't kick in before the LDAP one does.  There may
> be others as well.
> --

The problem is probably in pam. Lot s of internet docs have incorrect
info advice and say.
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account   sufficient pam_ldap.so

When you do that you get the situation you have now. In some phases of
login sufficient becomes required.

Try this:
#%PAM-1.0
auth      sufficient pam_ldap.so
auth       include      system-auth
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore
service_err=ignore system_err=ignore authinfo_unavail=ignore]
pam_ldap.so

account    include      system-auth
password   include      system-auth
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so
session    required     pam_mkhomedir.so

You can also throw arguments to pam_ldap.so to do something similar.