Re: [389-users] Can the authconfig command line tool create home directories?

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Andrew Commons
<andrew.commons@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Edward Capriolo wrote:
>
>> Andrew, I have worked with this before. The problem is the home
>> directory is done with/by the pam mk_homdir module.
>
>> 1) You might be missing this module
>> 2) some daemons SMB, XWindows do not have a pam.d stack correctly to
>> include this module. If your login is via SSH check that you
>> /etc/pam.d/ssh includes the mk_home_dir in your stack
>
> Edward, thanks for that suggestion. I'll investigate further but I don't
> think it's the problem. If I just create the user in the 389 directory and I
> have "Create home directories on the first login" enabled then the Home
> directory _is_ created at first login but Gnome then goes pear-shaped after
> that and the directory does not get populated with all the Gnome-related
> bits required for the desktop to function. This results in an account that
> can authenticate correctly but cannot get past the login screen.
>
> I'm assuming that creating the Home directory is what pam_mk_homdir is all
> about and that after that it's up to whatever desktop display manager you
> are using to fill in the gaps.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>
> --

Interesting. If the files that gnome is supposed to create are
identical for ALL users then could try to update /etc/skel. The
contents of /etc/skel should be copied on user creation. (maybe the
homedir module has a switch to turn that on/off)