[389-users] Can the authconfig command line tool create home directories?

My experience has been that for users defined in the directory the home
directory is created on first login and then Gnome fails miserably in its
attempt to populate said home directory resulting in a failed session and a
return to the login prompt.

I have a post on this being studiously ignored in the Fedora users list.

My workaround, at present, is as follows:

(1) Create the user normally on the system.
(2) Login to the user and immediately log out.
(3) Remove the user from the system making sure I do not remove the home and
mail directories.
(4) Add the user into LDAP using the same username, UID and GID and home
directory as the temporary system user.

The login now works.

I would be delighted if a better way of doing this could be suggested!

Cheers,
Andrew