Re: [389-users] Can the authconfig command line tool create home directories?

On 04/02/2010, at 8:16 AM, Sean Carolan wrote:

> Odd, this option was not on my manpage.  And it didn't work on one of
> my servers.  I have two CentOS 5 servers, but one is at revision 5.3,
> the other running 5.1.  The RPMs are:
>
> authconfig-5.3.12-2.el5 - doesn't work
> authconfig: error: no such option: --enablemkhomedir
>
> authconfig-5.3.21-5.el5 - works fine!
>
> Perhaps only very recent versions support this?  The reason I ask is
> that I have dozens of servers that will need this configuration, but
> only some are running Red Hat or CentOS versions new enough to support
> the command line option.

You can enable it manually by including pam_mkhomedir.so in your system-auth PAM config [see: man pam_mkhomedir].

However, this is likely to be overwritten if you subsequently run the older authconfig without the mkhomedir option. You can probably stop this from happening by replacing the /etc/pam.d/system-auth symlink with a copy of /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac; I believe this will render authconfig completely useless.

Tom