Re: [389-users] Multimaster replication out of sync

On 12/07/2009 05:18 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
Mitja Mihelic wrote:
Hi!

We have two instances of the DS in a multimaster replication setup.
We had to restore the database of one of the servers from backup.
While the second master was down, the first was receiving updates.
After we fired up the restored master it started receiving updates as
soon as a change occurred on the first master (i.e. after 15 minutes)
After the sync finished, we noticed they weren't identical.
Clicking "Send updates now" from the replication agreement does not help.

Is there a way to get them synced up again ? Other than reinitializing
the second/restored master ?
How long was the server down? How old was the backup it was restored from?
The server was not down long, but the backup was about 10 hours old.
This was a backup at filesystem level made by ufsdump. It was not a "regular" DS backup.
When we restored the database file from the dump the server booted OK.

Then we made little test:
- made another ufsdump of the second master
- shut down the server
- let the primary master update for an hour
- restored the second master's database from the dump
- started the second master
- let them do their replication magic
- isolated both servers (i.e. no updates)
- compared the LDIF dumps
Again, they were not the same.

We probably should have used the built in backup functionality, right ?

Regards,
Mitja