Re: [389-users] Password expiration warning

Andrew Kerr wrote:

I am hoping to implement password expirations using 389. 389 is used for system level auth across a few hundred redhat5 servers, but is also used for web auth, and primarily so for less technical users (access to Wiki, internal accounting systems, etc).

What I’m struggling with is how users will be notified of their upcoming password expiration if they don’t directly log in to a Unix box. 389 has a check box to “send warning X days before password expires”, but I can’t find any documentation on what exactly that means. How are they notified – via email?

No. 389 sends back a password response control value that specifies how much time is remaining until expiration. LDAP clients such as pam_ldap understand how to parse the control. Other clients may not.

If not, is there already a script out in the wild that will scan my LDAP for upcoming expirations (via cron) and email notifications to users?

Thanks!