Re: [389-users] Checklist for OpenLDAp to FDS migration

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Prashanth Sundaram <psundaram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

Can someone post the checklist for OpenLDAP to FDS migration? I see some bit and pieces here and there about schema conversion, ldif porting and copying some files.
It would be great if someone can post a detail message here or direct me to a link for step-by-step guide.

Here’s the template:

1. Export the OpenLDAP database to LDIF.
2. Use awk to convert the OpenLDAP LDIF to a FDS format, taking care to note any schema differenences.
3. Import the new LDIF to FDS.
4. Point your clients to the new DS.

Don't mean to sound facetious, but so much depends on your existing setup that no guide you find will offer a lot of detail that applies wholly to your environment.

For Step (1) I just used an ldapsearch and piped the output to an ldif.

For Step (2) I wrote a couple awk scripts that rewrote the LDIF to match one that I exported from FDS.

But my environment is just a few hundred users and OpenLDAP was only used for authentication and simple groups.