Re: [389-users] Migration from OpenLDAP and PassSync with AD

On 07/09/2009 09:35 AM, Prashanth Sundaram wrote:
Elaborating the Qs:

Question1:Since we have an existing LDAP server(OpenLDAP) and users were
logging in to other dev, prod and testing servers using the passwords
managed by this OpenLDAP server. I believe the way the member servers
remember the user credentials is by assigning each user with a unique
security ID. (please correct me if I am wrong) If that gets lost in
migration, then my users' permissions will have to be re-assigned from
scratch (pain for sysadmins)

So my question was, will the users be able to login to member servers after
migrating to FDS and still have same permissions and home directory folder
and everything looks the same without panicking about any missing
permissions or files.

I believe you are referring to the uidNumber and gidNumber attributes.  File permissions use these numbers.  These will remain the same when you export from OpenLDAP and import to 389.
Question2.1: What will happen to the passwords that are different on the FDS
and AD before the Sync. I do not want the passwords to be reset on FDS or AD
after 1st sync but only future passwords changes to be Synced to FDS and AD
and vice versa.

A clear-text password is required to sync since different hashing schemes are used on each side.  Passwords will only be synchronized when they are changed, which is what you want.
Question2.1: I was working with windows before and noticed that the Windows
saves users with a unique id. If that is lost or recreated, the previous
permissions will no longer hold true for the user, even though the username
is same. Is it same in Unix environment? Like say I delete a user account
from FDS and a day after I re-create the ID, will the permissions stay
intact?

The uidNumber and gidNumber are used in *nix, not the actual uid.  If you re-create a user using the same uidNumber and gidNumber, the permissions will still have the same net effect as they did with the old user entry.

Thanks,
Prashanth

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-directory-users/2009-July/msg00013.ht
ml