Re: [389-users] lookthroughlimit and "result: 11 Administrative limit exceeded"

Tim Hartmann wrote:
Hi!

So I've got a RHDS installation that I'm serving automount points off
of, and I ran into this error unexpectedly

# search result
search: 2
result: 11 Administrative limit exceeded

# numResponses: 1

I was able to search around and found this in the Doc's which seems to
be the answer:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_Indexes.html#About_Indexes-Overview_of_the_Searching_Algorithm

However when I set "lookthroughlimit" to unlimited (-1)  I then start
getting result, but they are horrible!! Seconds between results! Whereas my old OpenLDAP servers respond immediately to the request! The
search filter that the server seems to be sending is this:
"(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uidNumber=XXX))"

I'm not super thrilled about allowing unlimited lookthroughlimit on the
whole directory, but I'm not sure how else to get quick results from a
search like that... er... help?!
1) use logconv.pl to look for unindexed searches - you most likely need to index uidNumber for equality (and do you really need objectclass=posixAccount in there? are you concerned you may retrieve an entry with uidNumber=XXX that is _not_ a posixAccount?) 2) lookthrough limit is almost always the wrong answer, unless you need to allow some administrative client (not regular clients) to perform complex queries that will return many results and consume a lot of server resources in the process
Thanks

Tim