Re: Admin-server/config-server

tamarin p wrote:

2009/3/12 Rich Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>>

        One additional question with regards to the above, though, if
        I may:
        Does this mean it's not intended/possible to register ldap
        instance(s) on machine A with the config-server on machine B?
        I assumed it was because answering "yes" on the
        register-with-existing-configserv step in setup-ds-admin.pl
        prompts you for a full ldap-URL.

    You usually have a single configuration directory server for a
    single admin domain, which may consist of many machines.  So yes,
    that's what that dialog does - it registers your directory server
    with a (possibly) remote configuration directory server, used to
    store configuration for many machines.

        However, creating an instance with setup-ds.pl and then later
        running register-ds-admin.pl it only seems possible to
        register locally by folder/identifier, not ldap-URL.

    It should be possible both ways.

Following up on this, I think I discovered a small bug in the script: the first time you run setup-ds-admin.pl the adm.conf ldapurl property isn't updated correctly and the instance wont find the config directory for registration.

I have two machines: ldap1.test.com <http://ldap1.test.com> and ldap2.test.com <http://ldap2.test.com>. ldap1 has the instances slapd-config on port 4000 (holding NetscapeRoot) and slapd-test1 on port 4001. ldap2 only has slapd-test2 on port 4002. (different ports so I can use the same infs to create all instances on same machine if I need to). I have been able to set this up successfully, and I can can see them both under the same admin domain in the fedora-idm-console.

The problem surfaces when I create slapd-test2 instance on ldap2 with setup-ds-admin.pl -s -f slapd-test2.inf for the first time only (ensured by running remove-ds-admin.pl -y first). The first time I create the server I get normal log output and the instance is started successfully but it does not show up in the idm-console. Then I try to remove it with ds_removal and I get this: Error:The server 'ldap://:4002/o=NetscapeRoot' is not reachable. Error: unknown error
Can you post your slapd-test2.inf? Be sure to obscure any sensitive info first.

Checking /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf and notice that it has the wrong ldapurl: ldap://:4002/o=NetscapeRoot.. Then I run setup-ds-admin.pl again exactly like before, and then it works. I can see the new instance in the idm-console and I can ds_removal it again without errors. /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf now holds the right ldapurl for the configdirectory: ldapurl: ldap://ldap1.test.com:4000/o=NetscapeRoot <http://ldap1.test.com:4000/o=NetscapeRoot>. The rest of the adm.conf is identical in both cases.

If I add FullMachineName directive to the inf then this is added instead of empty string, but according to the docs http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/install/8.0/Installation_Guide-Advanced_Configuration-Silent.html this should be the hostname of the machine you're installing ON. Additionally this still leaves me with the wrong port, ie ldap://ldap01.test.com:4002 <http://ldap01.test.com:4002> (it uses the FullMachineName but local port for the instance being created). But on the second run it is always corrected. So the workaround I have found is to just make sure adm.conf exists already. Then it always works, even when the file is blank.
Ok. Looks like the auto hostname thing is not working. We use perl Net::Domain hostfqdn if FullMachineName is absent - it uses some complicated formula involving sys::hostname, /etc/resolv.conf, etc. I'm not sure why it would fail completely though.