Re: Recover directory database files when disk fills up!

Howard Wilkinson wrote:
Finally got back to diagnosing the problem with the console and behold the behaviour has changed. Still not working right but I am now getting 3 slightly different failures depending on which server I try to connect to.

   1. Connecting to rebuilt directory server when I look at the
      encryption tab for the server configuration I get a pop up
      failure that says 'SSL related initialization failed'. After
      pressing OK the tab fills in correctly and the error does not
      reappear until I reopen the server.
   2. Connecting to the rebuilt administration server and select the
      Configuration tab I get the same error message as a pop up. When
      I press OK the window show 'failed to load data'.
   3. Connecting to another administration server from our
      Multi-master farm I get the error message on the Configuration
      Tab - 'no protocol:
      admin-server/tasks/Sonfiguration/ServerSetup' and again 'failed
      to load data' after pressing OK.

What is happening is that the console invokes a CGI via the admin server to create and/or manage those files. The following permissions are required: The admin server user id (default: nobody - grep User /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/console.conf to see what the userid is) must have permission to create new files in /etc/dirsrv/slapd-instancename and /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv, and read and write cert8.db, key3.db, and secmod.db in those directories. If you need/want to run the directory server and the admin server as different users, then you should create a group to which both of those users belong (and no other users) - you will need to make sure those files and directories have the appropriate group permissions, since the directory server needs to read/write files in /etc/dirsrv/slapd-instancename as well as the admin server.

The debug console logs are attached fro each case.

No errors are reported in the logs for the admin servers.

Where do I look next?

Howard.