Re: Windows sync: Synchronization of group membership

Erling Ringen Elvsrud wrote:
Hello list,

According to the RHDS Administration Guide in the chapter on
Windows Sync(page 531):

"The membership of groups is synchronized with the constraint that
only those members that are also within the scope of the agreement are
propagated"
(note that I did not read this before the test)

I have tried the following:

In AD I have:

ou=LinuxUsers
ou=LinuxGroups

I have configured two separate synchronization agreements in RHDS, one
that populate ou=People from ou=LinuxUsers in AD and one that
populate ou=Groups from ou=LinuxGroups in AD.

The synchronization works, and after it is complete I use ldapsearch
on ou=Groups in RHDS and ou=LinuxGroups in AD and the
member-attributes is indeed missing on the RHDS side.

So, in order to keep group-membership I need to synchronize the parent ou of
both users and groups. So something like
ou=LinuxUsers,ou=Linux, dc=... and
ou=LinuxGroups, ou=Linux, dc=... must be created in AD, and in the
synchronization agreement I will sync ou=Linux and get both users and groups.
The alternative is to synchronize with the current parrent of
LinuxUsers and LinuxGruops.

Is this correct?

Do you know why this "limitation" exists?
I think it is a side effect of the way the AD DirSync control works - it applies to the domain suffix (dc=company,dc=com) and all sub containers (OUs, CNs) under that suffix. It does not apply only to specific subtrees under the domain suffix.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms677626(VS.85).aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891995
Thanks

Erling