Re: Migrating Netscape DS to FDS

OK exporting/importing the LDIF worked, but I had to do some sleuth work to determine the custom objects and attributes in the slapd.user_oc.conf slapd.user_at.conf respectively, then manually create these in the new server using the same object and attribute types. I suppose this is what the migration scripts would have done in version 6.0... not sure why they couldn't do the same work in version 8.0. They build this software to last decades, but we're supposed to discard it after a few years when the support discontinues? good grief.

Thanks again to all who chimed in.   cheers -Dave

Michael Ströder wrote:
Dave wrote:
With respect to exporting/import an LDIF file, yes there are about 20
custom fields in the schema for varying types of data such as user
preferences.    This is one reason I was trying to avoid an
import/export of LDIF as it would require some cleansing.   The
challenge of doing the step-upgrade now appears to be in finding version
6 iPlanet Directory Server to download somewhere...   By the way, f
anyone is willing to take a crack at this I'd be more than happy to
compensate...  I have a Red Hat test server set up with fedora-ds
installed and an LDIF file containing a dump of the Netscape DS 4.1 server.

Still I'd recommend to directly migrate to FDS by bulk-importing the
LDIF. If that does not work you can come to the mailing list for asking
why it fails.

Ciao, Michael.