Re: Migrating Netscape DS to FDS

Dave wrote:

Hi, I have an old Netscape Directory Server version 4.1 (circa 2001) that I need to migrate to Fedora Directory Server, but I am confused as to the proper migration path.

I've been reading the Red Hat DS install guides at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ (as there doesn't appear to be as a comprehensive guide for Fedora DS.
The Red Hat Guides are pretty good, but refer to the wiki for information about where the differ.

The Redhat DS 8.0 guide says that migrating Netscape DS 4.x is not supported (only version 6 and above), so I read the Red Hat DS 6.0 install guide and it says that Netscape DS 4.x is indeed supported. So am I right to presume that a step-upgrade will be required, from my current version 4.x to 6.x and then to the current version 8.0?
Yes.  I hope you are a perl hacker . . .
If you look here - http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/ldapserver/ldap/admin/src/scripts/?hideattic=0&root=dirsec - you will see several dead migration scripts. The main one you want to start with is template-migrateTo5 - http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/ldapserver/ldap/admin/src/scripts/template-migrateTo5?hideattic=0&revision=1.7&root=dirsec&view=markup - that file contains the code to convert the config and schema settings from the old style to the new ldif style.

Also, what version of the Fedora-DS is equivalent to Red Hat DS 6.0?
There isn't one. The first version of Fedora DS was 7.1 which was essentially the same as Red Hat DS 7.1
Thanks -Dave

p.s. If somebody can tell me how to search this list's archives that would be much appreciated!