Re: forcing reload?

solarflow99 wrote:

ok, it sounds like what I think it is. When you created the existing users, they were not added with the eduPerson objectclass since the schema didn't exist in FDS, so now only new users will automatically get it assuming your front end provides it, not sure what you are using since you said its not dirsrv-admin, you must have a way of adding new users, etc. Thats why its best to add the schema to FDS first, then start creating new users.
I'm tinkering with new schema as well as including the standard eduPerson and was hoping to avoid having to strip out all the data and then repopulate each time I make a minor change to the schema. I'm populating it from a large Active Directory by script, which already has quite a long run time.

But I don't have any users in the directory at all yet, which is why I was a bit surprised at the behaviour. I thought at least adding new users with a new schema wouldn't be a problem. I guess if that is out the next thing I need to check is what happens if I add a new 'may' field to an existing schema - will it force me to drop all the old data to install that, too.

The way I understand it, the schema only makes it possible for an ldap server to allow the extra feature, but its the user (object) that has its necessary objectclasses assigned to it, for each objectclass, you can assign the values and attributes. For example: samba requires adding the samba schema into FDS, then each user needs to have the "sambasamaccount" objectclass which has numerous values that samba accounts use. I was new with ldap not long ago too, hope this helps..

:-) Thanks
Graham
         On 8/4/08, *Graham Seaman* <G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

           solarflow99 wrote:

               I'd just restart dirsrv, and probably even dirsrv-admin
        too.

           I'm not running the admin server. Restarting dirsrv doesn't
        appear
           to do it.  If it should normally, I guess I've got
        something else
           wrong...

           Graham

                On 8/4/08, *Graham Seaman* <G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx>
               <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx>>
        <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx>

               <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:G.Seaman@xxxxxxxxx>>>> wrote:

                  Hi,

                  How do I persuade fedora-ds to load new schema?
        Restarting the
                  slapd daemon doesn't seem to do it. Completing
        removing a
                  directory and then recreating it does, but I don't
        want to
               have to
                  keep doing that if possible...

                  Thanks