Re: Re: Fedora DS Installation

Gene Poole wrote:

Rich Megginson wrote:

> Can you describe exactly what you are trying to do?
>
> Not directly with RPM.  The Fedora DS RPMs we provide are not
> relocateable.  They abide by the FHS -
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FHS_Packaging
>
> If you want to build it from source, you can provide a specific prefix
> or use the default prefix /opt/fedora-ds.
>
> There may be other ways to achieve what you want to do.  Please provide
> more details.

If you remember older releases came as tar balls which allowed me to determine where I wanted the software and create a file system ahead of time. Since it started using RPMs, I can no longer build a server and create all of the file systems ahead of time, because how will I know if they decide to move it next week? next month? next year?
Some of the directories have always been configurable - log file directory, database directory - so those could be changed to a different filesystem, even in the old format - not during setup, but afterwards. And those are the file systems which you will usually have to worry about, in terms of performance and having enough space.

Thanks,
Gene Poole