From: fedora-directory-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-directory-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Ströder
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:48 AM
To: General discussion list for the Fedora Directory server project.
Subject: Re:  LDAP Load Tools

Michael Brown wrote:
I'm working with an RHDS customer (currently RHDS 7.1sp3, hopefully moving to sp6 soon, or RHDS 8) with large attribute requirements (some attributes 25-30 Mbytes)

Never saw a deployment where you store several MB into attributes. I'm really curious whether that works? I know you can store this amount of data but whether it really works for many entries.

Ciao, Michael.

As an FYI... The issue in the environment in which I'm working is not a data at rest issue for the large attributes, but rather a replication and writing issue.

This is a US Government customer who has deployed a large PKI and LDAP infrastructure based upon the Red Hat CA and DS products, and they have several CA's with large certificate revocation lists approaching several tens of Mbytes each (the customer has issued tens of million of certs from all the CAs deployed, and has revoked > 20% of these prior to expiration at any one time for various reasons, thus the large CRLs). These CRLs are published to Red Hat DS instances in the certificateRevocationList;binary attribute in the entry for each CA and replicated to consumer DS instances and customers who require the CRLs. OCSP is also used, but CRLs are still required for many applications.

This is a reasonably mature architecture as far as PKI and LDAP are concerned, first deployed in 1999 or thereabouts (think Netscape days), but the large CRL growth has been problematic both in generation and in publishing/replication at times. The publishing and replication tuning is what I'm trying to address with additional lab testing.

The Red Hat CA and DS solutions have shown themselves to be scalable and secure in this environment, with proper care and tuning.

Michael