Re: fds + kerberos

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:15:49 +0200
From: Jan Frode Myklebust<janfrode@xxxxxxxxx>

I have fds set up for user management, and have kerberos set
up for authentication, but am a bit uncertain if I'm now finished,
or if fds+kerberos are supposed to be better integrated.

Is the normal procedure for managing users:

	- add user info to the directory (ldapadd)
	- create user principal (addprinc username)

Or can the creation of user principal be automatically created
from within fds when we create users there ?

If you're using Heimdal's KDC there is a much less clumsy solution - just configure your KDC to store its information in LDAP. Then you can include the KDC-specific attributes in your lddapadd requests, and manage both sets of users solely through LDAP. This works very well with OpenLDAP; I think it should also work with FDS 1.1 now that they've integrated ldapi:// support (but haven't tried it myself). You can then also configure OpenLDAP to automatically synchronize password changes between LDAP and Kerberos (since all the information is in the LDAP entry).

I believe recent versions of MIT Kerberos also offer this possibility, but I haven't heard of any success stories with it so far.
--
  -- Howard Chu