Re: questions

On Thu, 15 May 2008, solarflow99 wrote:

- Is it possible to set a root user (UID=0) I noticed it doesn't seem to let
me log in that way.

Yes, you can add an entry to the directory with uidNumber=0.  Whether
or not that's a good idea is a different story; personally, I wouldn't
want to have root's credentials centrally in LDAP, for a number of
reasons.

- If the clients are authenticating to hostname, how does failover work if
that host went offline?  Having a secondary LDAP instance wouldnt really
help would it?

There are a few ways you can do this:

1.  Linux Virtual Server or another load balancer.

2.  Poor Man's Load Balancing, a.k.a. DNS "load balancing," and
twiddle your CNAMEs when an LDAP server goes down.  It's hackish, but
it works just dandy.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University