Re: Preferred authentication mechanism - LDAPS or startTLS

Chun Tat David Chu wrote:

I'm currently looking into LDAP authentication and would like to know about what is the preferred authentication mechanism. If I want to use TLS for authentication, should I use LDAPS or startTLS?

Both are not client authentication mechs if you don't use client certificates. In most deployments the SSL/TLS protocol provides server authentication and an encrypted data communication channel.

I surfed on the Internet, and it appears that startTLS should be deprecating LDAPS but a lot of people are still using LDAPS today.

I'd simply support both. LDAPS has the advantage that you can really mandate that the client must successfully establish an encrypted channel *before* sending any LDAP PDU with possibly confidential information.

Ciao, Michael.