Re: Fwd: Password Warnings

Legatus wrote:
I did that. I know I have done that in the past. I see on one account the passwordExpWarned, I don't see passwordExpirationTime. We need to be able to give users warnings that the password will expire in N days. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there a setting I haven't set? I set up a policy that is supposed to expire passwords, and warn users.
One thing is that a user who has not had his/her password changed since password expiration was enabled will not have the passwordExpirationTime attribute in his/her entry, but you could add it manually.

Another thing - I'm not sure how it is possible that a user could have the passwordExpWarned but not the passwordExpirationTime attribute. Just looking at the code, everywhere it sets passwordExpWarned it also sets passwordExpirationTime.

I started with an existing database (Example.ldif)

I then enabled password expiration - ldapsearch showed no passwordExpWarned nor passwordExpirationTime

Then, as directory manager, I used ldapmodify to modify a user's password - the search showed this: ldapsearch -D "cn=directory manager" ... "uid=scarter" passwordExpirationTime passwordExpWarned
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=example,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: uid=scarter
# requesting: passwordExpirationTime passwordExpWarned
#

# scarter, People, example.com
dn: uid=scarter, ou=People, dc=example,dc=com
passwordExpirationTime: 20080615185146Z
passwordExpWarned: 0

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Legatus wrote:
    > I have tried with this search, and also using the userid that I am
    > requesting the information  from. So "uid=me,ou=people,dc=mydc"
    to get
    > info on "uid=me,ou=people,dc=mydc"
    >
    > ldapsearch -x -b 'ou=people,dc=mydc' -s sub -D 'cn=directory
    manager'
    > -w <password> "objectclass=*" attrs="passwordExpWarned
    > passwordExpirationTime"
    Don't use attrs="..." Just specify them on the command line - ...
    "objectclass=*" passwordExpWarned passwordExpirationTime
    If you want all regular attributes plus the additional operational
    attributes, use "*" e.g.
    ldapsearch .... "objectclass=*" \* passwordExpWarned
    passwordExpirationTime
    ldapsearch --help
    usage: ldapsearch [options] [filter [attributes...]]
    where:
     filter        RFC-2254 compliant LDAP search filter
     attributes    whitespace-separated list of attribute descriptions

    Note that openldap has a special attribute called "+" but this is not
    supported by Fedora DS.

    > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Rich Megginson
    <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
    > <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
    >
    >     Legatus wrote:
    >     > I am new to the list, and I apologize if this question has
    been
    >     > answered before.
    >     >
    >     > I haven't done much programming for LDAP, though I have been
    >     managing
    >     > directories for years. I am working with some developers,
    who a)
    >     > aren't very imaginative, b) not very clever, and c) lazy.
     So I need
    >     > to know how to get at the password information that says a
    password
    >     > has expired, is about to expire, et. al. I have tried to query
    >     for the
    >     > attributes using ldapsearch that seem to be what I want, like
    >     > passwordexpirationtime, but I get nothing back.
    >     Can you post your exact ldapsearch command line?  Note that
    >     passwordexpirationtime and other password attributes in user
    >     entries are
    >     operational attributes - this means they are not retrieved
    by default
    >     with an LDAP search but must be explicitly listed in the list of
    >     attributes to retrieve.
    >     > They all figure I should know the magic incantation, since I
    >     know how
    >     > to make the directory work, and usually that would be the
    case. This
    >     > time I am stuck. Anyone solved this problem. I am running
    FDS 1.0.2,