Re: notes on building fds in etch and a failed build question

Ryan Braun wrote:
<snip>
Mostly correct.  The only thing is that the way the console works, it
downloads the ds and ds-admin jar files from the admin server.  However,
if you build them on the client machine and install them into
$HOME/.fedora-idm-console/jars then the console will just use the local
ones.

Ok, well I tried installing the windows console on one of the windows boxes around here (easier then downloading fc isos :) ), fired up the console and am able to connect and it looks like it wants to work, then it reports back that it can't find the jars.
Right. The windows console works the same way - it tries to download the server specific jar files from the admin server via http.
So that being said, is there an easy way to use FC jars, or do I need to build them for debian? (I have started trying to build jss but am having some issues)
Yes. Just grab them from /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java. I suggest using tar or another program to preserve the symlinks - but no big deal as the jar files are small if you use cp and get redundant copies. The jar files are platform independent.
To be honest,  I haven't really looked into the different post install
process' with 1.1.0 since 1.0.4 so the reason I could have missing
entries in the console could very well be my own fault :)

Also,  if I want to fine tune the location of some of directories during
build.  is it safe to modify the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable in the
adminserver and ldapserver's Makefile?  I want to put
/opt/dirsrv/etc/dirsrv into /etc/dirsrv aswell as /opt/dirsrv/var into
/var?
Yes, for those components whose configure respect --sysconfdir and
--localstatedir - which means not the mozilla components (mozldap, etc.)
but everything else should work just fine.  You'll also have to tweak
the --prefix argument which is set by default.

I'll play around with some options. I've started a wiki page for the debian build. I don't have it linked onto the main page, but you can check it out in recent changes.
Ok.  Thanks!
Ryan