Re: Migrate users from Netscape LDAP to Red Hat DS

Ankur Agarwal wrote:
Thanks Richard!
But how does Red Hat DS know that it need not rehash the password?
Bec
e.g. Suppose I create a ldif file saying:
userPassword=testppassword
and export another ldif:
userPassword=xyzRR$#==
First one is in plain english since I create that and second one is in hashed format because I have exported an existing user. Now if i import these 2 to another Red Hat instance how will that new instance know that second one is already hashed?
Usually when you export entries using db2ldif you will get LDIF like this:
dn: uid=scarter,....
userPassword: {SSHA}ls089x08sd090808sd08=

If you import this into RHDS, RHDS will see that userPassword is already hashed using SSHA and will just use the value.

If you are getting the userPassword values some other way, you can just set the value to
{scheme}base64password
e.g.
{SSHA}lsdf098asdf8z908023lj=
regards,
Ankur

*/Rich Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    Ankur Agarwal wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We want to migrate users from Netscape LDAP to RedHat DS. On
    RedHat we
    > have created a similar schema (as existing on netscape) and now
    plan
    > to export LDIF from Netscape and import that into RedHat DS. This
    > should work fine but what will happen to the user passwords
    since in
    > the export they will be hashed. Will they get successfully imported
    > into RedHat or will they get rehashed during the import thus
    sopiling
    > the migration.
    They will be migrated. Red Hat DS should support all of the password
    hashing schemes used by Netscape DS (unless you are using crypt or a
    custom scheme).