Re: Admin server startup errors 1.0.4-1 on RHEWS3

Ken Marsh wrote:
Message: 4
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:30:43 -0700
From: Rich Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Admin server startup errors
	1.0.4-1	on	RHEWS3
To: "General discussion list for the Fedora Directory server project."
	<fedora-directory-users@xxxxxxxxxx>

Rich wrote:
I wrote:
This is very frustrating, I have NDS 6.3 (correction: FDS 7.1) I am
heavily reliant on, and
very badly need a backup DS so I can do an extended service on that server. Perhaps entering that server's info in the setup/setup script

is part of the problem?

As I suspected, THIS IS THE PROBLEM!

I just rpm -e'd fedora 1.0.4-1, rm -fr'd the /opt/fedora-ds directory,
and then reinstalled saying "No" to whether I had another DS and if
there was another DS with configuration information. The Admin server
configured and started up automatically!
So, now we know 1.0.4-1's Admin setup is strongly adverse to using my
7.1 for config.
I just tried the following, using VMs:
1) install fedora ds 7.1 on rhel4 - use itself for config information
2) in another machine, install 1.0.4 on rhel4 - use 1) for the config information

If I chose Typical setup mode, the install failed because Typical mode doesn't allow you to specify the AdminDomain. If I chose Custom mode, then it did allow me to specify the AdminDomain and everything worked. If I use the console on machine 1, I can see both servers and manage them.

However, I cannot manage server 1 from the console running on server 2 - it shows up in the console, but I get a NullPointerException when I click on it.
Is that server running?

There is no crowd at my door, so, yes. :)

I am going to re-run it again and say "No" to the first other-DS
question and "Yes" to using it as a Config server and see what happens.
When you tried using your old server as the config DS for the new server, did you use Typical mode? Did you get any errors that said something about a domain or an admin domain?
Thanks,
-Ken.