Re: Admin server startup errors 1.0.4-1 on RHEWS3

Ken Marsh wrote:

Rich,

From multiple install attempts, I’ve learned to set this before doing anything:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/fedora-ds/bin/slapd/lib/:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

Really? That should definitely not be necessary. What happens if you do not do that?

On ES5 the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not previously set. On ES3 it is rich with developer libraries in /usr/local, but the DS path is now first.

As for host names, nslookup and reverse lookup are both OK, for short name, FQDN and IP. The /etc/hosts file does not conflict with DNS.

This is on Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 6) and ES5 Update 1 64 bit. I don’t know if having the latest Update level matters. However I’m running out of Red Hat versions to install this on. They all have the same problem configuring the Admin server.

>What errors did you get during setup?

Pretty much the same behaviour on ES5/64bit end ES3/32bit. The startup script merely says the Admin server doesn’t start. At that point, /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv/logs/errors is empty. Later, after I manually hack up a bunch of httpd.worker config files, it has the AdmldapInfo error I already reported.

The only real difference between the two is that I can later manually hack up Apache 2.0 configs on ES3/32, but it’s hopeless on the Apache 2.2 of ES5/64, given the lack of mod_auth.so et al.

There are people on the list that have installed the Fedora DS 1.0.4 FC6 binary on RHEL5 and have it running.

It seems that in all cases, the Admin server startup script exits early and quietly.

Looking at the list, it seems I am not the only one with this problem.

There are many people that do not have this problem. That's why I'm trying to figure out what could be different about your environment. The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is one thing.

This is very frustrating, I have NDS 6.3 I am heavily reliant on, and very badly need a backup DS so I can do an extended service on that server. Perhaps entering that server’s info in the setup/setup script is part of the problem?

Is that server running?

-Ken.