Email and LDAP

I am very sorry if this is an easy question to answer. I have tried OpenLDAP and FDS several times. I just can't seem to get it to do what I want.

I am trying to setup a directory server for my folks (may expand to the entire family). Basically, I would like the following features:

* Global directory where all common contacts are stored
* Private directories where all private/non-common contacts are stored

The above terminology may not match common LDAP terminology. They are using Thunderbird on more than one computer in Windows and Linux, hence the desire to get it out of the Thunderbird and into an LDAP server.

I would love it if I could have authentication be against an Active Directory (which I may be moving them too soon), but this is not necessary. How do I do access control for write to the private directories? How do I do control on the global?

How do I even get it working?

I am sorry, as I said, I have read many howtos and just can't seem to get anywhere. I am not stupid, but I am ignorant when it comes to LDAP.

Thank you for any help.

Trever Adams