Re: rpm -e behavior

Steve Rigler wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 08:49 -0600, Richard Megginson wrote:
Chris St. Pierre wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Steve Rigler wrote:

Personally, I prefer "rpm -e" to remove only the files that were
originally installed by the package.
I'll second that.
Ok. The way Fedora DS works with respect to RPM install is a little different than OpenLDAP or other similar server software packages. With those, you generally get some of the configuration for your "instance" with the RPM package (there is usually only the one instance, and if you want to run another server, you have to manually configure it yourself). With Fedora DS, there are no instance specific files/directories in the RPM. You have to run the setup command to create these, and this will create the following directories: /etc/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - contains dse.ldif and key and cert databases, pin.txt file, maybe the keytab as well
/usr/lib64/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - scripts like db2ldif, ldif2db, etc.
/var/lib/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - databases
/var/log/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - logs
/var/tmp/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - tmp files
/var/lock/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - lock files/dirs

So if you rpm -e, all of these will be left behind. I don't know if that is expected or desired.

That's fine for me.  It's actually good because when I'm testing a new
piece of software I might reinstall it from scratch.  If it leaves some
old files behind I can always go back and compare to a working install
to see where I screwed up.

-Steve
If "rpm -e fedora-ds" leaves all the directories listed above, the following "rpm -i fedora-ds" + setup operation would be the in-place upgrade instead of the fresh install if the same server ID (slapd-ID) is chosen. Maybe, that'd be the expected behavior for many administrators. For others, we could have one more question in the setup/upgrade dialog if the setup is a fresh install (wipe out the old files) or a in-place upgrade (use the old files). If the answer is "fresh install", we can clean up the old files, then.

Another thing is if the host is no longer used for the Fedora Directory Server, you may want to clean up the disk eventually. At that time, there is no tool to remove them. Theoretically, all the files/directories are under fedora-ds somewhere, so it won't be difficult to remove them manually, though. But it looks a little lame...

Thank you for your feedbacks. --noriko