Re: Performance

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Vampire D wrote:

We will not be using LDAP in the traditional sense.

Instead of authentication, we will be using it to perform lookups upon
incoming mail.
We plan on having tens of thousands of email addresses stored in LDAP, every
message that comes in is verified via LDAP that it is allowed, and then it
is processed by our system.  We plan on caching entries (positive and
negative) for 24 hours, so as long as the look up has been done in the last
24 hours and the 1M record cache isn't exhausted it will not perform a look
up.  This should cut down a lot of the demand.  Initially we are looking at
about 100k lookups an hour, as we expand the service that can go up by
50-100k at a time.

Lots of people (myself included) use LDAP for this, among other
things.

Fedora DS will not blink at 100K searches per hour.  I have seen
50-80K ops/minute on our LDAP servers, which are HP DL145s with 2
cores and 4 Gb memory, without any performance degradation, and I've
spoken with people doing far more than that on comparable hardware.

At the rates you're talking about, performance will be a non-issue.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University