Re: Admin Server connecting to two Directory Servers within the same domain

Daryle A. Tilroe wrote:
Richard Megginson wrote:

Daryle A. Tilroe wrote:

I have a closely related question.  Is there a correct way in a simple
dual multimaster setup to have the two servers both be config servers
for the same DB?  I tried just replicating NetscapeRoot but I ended up
with things messed up.

How so?

It was a couple weeks ago but IIRC the admin server on the second
master would not run properly.  I will really have to try it again
to confirm.

I have not yet tried again but was curious
if there was a 'correct' method.

Not really. There are too many places where the host:port of the config DS are hard coded, and there is not really a provision for specifying more than one for failover.

So basically I should have my two multimasters run independent admin
servers?  I did notice that I can admin the other "independent"
secondary master with the 'left over' entry in the config DB of
the primary (it was left there after I redid the secondary since
the I left the primary).  This suggests I could probably add each
of the two master to each other's config DB manually.
Yes, you could do that too.
I'm not really
sure that this is even useful though in a small install.  Probably
best to leave them as separate admin servers with the userRoot
replicated; that seems to work just fine.