Re: [crit] host_ip_init(): PSET failure: Failed to create PSET handle (pset error = )

Anthony M. Farrell wrote:
fedora core 6 - 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6
fedora-ds-1.0.4-1.FC6
httpd-2.2.4-2.fc6

I installed the directory server as a typical install with owner and group set to root.

Directory server starts OK

Admin server will not start.

Output of 'admin-serv/logs/error ' shows above subject error.

Output of /tmp file3SRK6D:
Syntax error on line 35 of /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv/config/console.conf:
Error:\tApache has not been designed to serve pages while\n\trunning as root. There are known race conditions that\n\twill allow any local user to read any file on the system.\n\tIf you still desire to serve pages as root then\n\tadd -DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE to the CFLAGS env variable\n\tand then rebuild the server.\n\tIt is strongly suggested that you instead modify the User\n\tdirective in your httpd.conf file to list a non-root\n\tuser.\n
This error message is telling you that Apache will not run as root. You must change your User in admin-serv/config/console.conf to a non-root user, preferably the same user as you run your directory server as (if that is also root, I strongly encourage you to use a non-root user).

If you're not very far along, I suggest starting over from scratch, and re-installing using a non-root user for both the Directory and Admin servers.
Changing the console.conf user and group to apache does not make any difference.

Output of ls -l admin-serv/config:
-rw------- 1 root root   337 Jun 24 13:17 adm.conf
-rw------- 1 root root    39 Jun 24 13:17 admpw
-rw------- 1 root root  4588 Jun 24 13:17 admserv.conf
-rw------- 1 root root  1324 Jun 24 13:17 admserv.conf.rej
-rw------- 1 root root  3726 Jun 24 15:54 console.conf
-rw------- 1 root root 30468 Jun 24 15:38 httpd.conf
-rw------- 1 root root  2048 Jun 24 13:17 httpd.conf.rej
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19707 Jun 24 13:17 local.conf
-rw------- 1 root root  4573 Jun 24 13:17 nss.conf

I have installed on two separate servers with latest fc6 and have the same problem on both boxes.

I would appreciate any ideas from list members as to how to resolve this problem.