Re: NIS to LDAP (N2L) service?

Norman Gaywood wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 06:22:34PM -0600, Richard Megginson wrote:
Ray Van Dolson wrote:
Their NIS server has a useful feature in that one can leave the NIS
daemons running and configure them to use your LDAP store as their
backend.  This would be perfect for us as our network contains many old
Unix hosts that cannot do LDAP and will need to rely on legacy NIS for
some time.  However, we'd like to be able to enjoy the other benefits
that LDAP offers and migrate the rest of the clients at a more
leisurely pace.

That might work. I remember at one point there was an open source project to write an NIS to LDAP gateway - a quick search of google turned up nothing.

It's not open source, but there is:

http://www.padl.com/Products/NISLDAPGateway.html
There was another one, done by a student. I can't remember where to find it. Anyone?