Re: Issues with TLS, password modify operation, and password expiration

Hi Richard,

as always, thank you very much for your answers. You make this list
very very usefull !

2007/4/27, Richard Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> * Start TLS : I want to enable TLS just before changing my password,
> but :
>        - Start TLS is not allowed, since it is not the only allowed
> modify request on userpassword
Can you do the StartTLS extended operation first, before the bind
request, then the password modify?

Yes of course, but since I detect the password expiration in the bind,
I must close the connection then open it again then start tls then
bind then change password. Not a big issue after all, but that was
just a remark

>        - After Start TLS (when the password is not expired), it seems
> that the connection become sometimes anonymous, and needs a new bind.
I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you elaborate on this?

I mean that I believe (I have not tried to reproduce it) that when I
do a start tls operation, I get anonymous, even if I had done a bind
request just before. So in my code, just after a start tls, I always
do a bind (even if I had already done it before start tls).

> I thought only the Stop TLS operation must disable the authentication
> on the LDAP connection
Do you mean authentication or transport encryption?

I mean that when you call stop tls, you become anonymous

> * Password Modify Extended operation : I just thought it would be a
> good idea to use it to change a password, but it is not allowed
Even if you do this as the first operation, before the bind?

in fact I did not try this, I thought you can only change your
password if you do a bind, obviously I was wrong. But anyways, I
detect the expiration when I do the bind, so its to late, the bind is
done. I did not try to close the connection, init it and call the exop

> 2) when changing the password using a standard ldap modify request, if
> I send two modify operations in the same request, the first one to
> remove the old password and the second one to add the new password, do
> I need to hash the old password for it to be in the same format than
> in the directory ?
No.  You should not send pre-hashed passwords, you should let the DS
hash the passwords.

> 3) when using the Password Modify Extended operation, then at the next
> logon the server requires the user to change its password ! So I
> definitly can't use this operation on a server implementing password
> policy. I believe that in the Fedora DS password policy code this
> operation is only seen as an administration request, not intended to
> be done by a user : it is handled as a "force password" request, not a
> "change password" request.
Hmm - that could be a bug in that we perhaps do not reset the password
expiration time.  It's supposed to - it goes through the same code as
regular password modify.

I am really not sure of this