Integrating EMC NAS (and Solaris How-To)

I am trialing an EMC NS350 as a candidate NAS to serve CIFS and NFS clients (XP, OSX, and Linux). I have set up a working Samba 3.x domain with FDS 1.01 back end and I have an older, borrowed NetApp Filer (DataOnTap 6.5) working fine as a temporary NFS/CIFS server authing against LDAP/Samba.

With the EMC, official support is limited to AD and Sun iPlanet LDAP. The latter limitation of support is turning out to be less theoretical than I might have hoped. It seems like the EMC wants to behave like an "official" iPlanet/Sun client.

I am thinking that the solution to this problem could be to config FDS as laid out in the Solaris Client How-To here:

   http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SolarisClient

I have a couple of questions. First, has anybody done this (integrated an EMC) who has a cut-and-dried report on doing it? Second, the second schema for NIS domain seems relevant only if the client is also binding to a NIS domain. I'm not. Or hope not to be :) Then, is the following step -- adding nisdomain attribute -- also optional? Seems like it should be. I am going to try the EMC with the stock set of serviceSearchDescriptor listed in the How-To's example profile. If anybody else has improved on that for an EMC, I would be interested in your comments.

There were both pros and cons when comparing NetApp and EMC offerings this time. It is a bit ironic that NetApp isn't nearly as Linux-y as EMCs Celerra product, yet LDAP was a breeze to set up on the Filer itself. In contrast, very little client-side non-iPlanet configuration is possible on the EMC, so I don't see much alternative to going through this server-side Solaris-style config change (and hope that it works!)

Thanks,

Jim