Re: Issue with fine-grained password policy

Ian Meyer wrote:
Hello all,

I set up FDS 1.0.2 on a server and got everything configured and
imported etc etc.. things
work great, I can authenticate against it, make updates.. but I can
not get our linux
clients to warn me about changing my password, expiration, length,
etc.. I followed the instructions on
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/password.html#1074672
to set up a global config, and a user config. Is there anything on the
client side for PAM that needs to be configured? I've been pouring
over this for a couple of days now so I may just be blind to a small
detail I may have missed. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

This functionality (returning requested password policy response message in conjunction with password change extop) needs support from two sides, pam_ldap and slapd.

The functionality is missing from the current version of slapd, but should be available in the next version afaik.

I am unsure of pam_ldap's support for password change extop or parsing password policy control response messages. Clearly, this is a piece of missing basic functionality, as a whole, that makes linux itself look incapable compared to windows.

--
mike